In March 1811 Henry Sharvin acquired this property from Reverend Stuart Blacker and his family ran the business as a Spirit Grocers and car garage for almost 180 years. In 1910 they also began a bus service.
John and Margaret Sharvin had nine children. The Census of Ireland 1911 shows them living in the property with four of their sons, Thomas, William, James and Senan. John’s occupation is given as a publican and grocer, Thomas’s as a farmer, William’s as a grocer, James’s as a potato merchant and Senan’s as an auctioneer.
The McErleans purchased The Cuan in 1989, rebuilt it and opened for business in 1991 as a bar and restaurant. In 1998 they added on 9 en-suite bedrooms and a chip shop thus ensuring the tradition of The Cuan as a village social hub.
Strangford was packed with spectators, when, in 1903, King Edward V11 came to Old Court to visit his friend Dudley, 24th Baron de Ros. Sharvin’s building was decorated for the visit with the greeting “Welcome back to Erin”.
After meeting local people and planting a tree, the King left by boat for Portaferry from where he travelled to spend the night at Mount Stewart.