St. Patrick’s R.C. Chapel
The building of St. Patrick’s, on the site of an earlier Mass House, was begun by the Rev. James McTeggart in 1762, making it one of the oldest churches in the Diocese of Down and Connor.
In 1831, the Rev. James McAleenan re-roofed and carried out extensive repairs to the church. His successor, the Rev. James Killen, enlarged the church in 1845 by building the western wing (now the central portion of St. Patrick’s). He also erected new galleries and removed the High Altar from the northern gable to the eastern wall. This altar was later replaced by the Rev. James Kennedy in 1923 when he erected the present marble High Altar.
During his three years as Parish Priest of Portaferry, from 1912 -1915, the Rev. G Crolly added a new bell tower and sacristy. The existing bell, weighing 161⁄2 cwts, was installed by the Rev. Patrick McKillop in 1939.
Extensive work was carried out by the Rev. George Watson between 1947 and 1949, due to the unsafe condition of the roof. A Lourdes grotto was erected in 1954 to commemorate the Marian year, and was solemnly blessed by Bishop Mageean on 31st May 1955. St Patrick’s was rededicated in 1990, following renovations carried out by the Rev. Gerard Laverty.
The date stone has the following inscription: “All you good Christians pray for ye benefacters of this Chapel which was built by the Masons Dorians & Mr Henery Murland, carpender AD 1762.”