Portaferry Sailing Club
In 1799 a map by Patrick O’Hare shows a single building on this site, but an 1859 survey clearly shows two buildings with a flight of steps up to rear walled gardens. The building is thought to date from circa 1840, but may be a remodelling of the building indicated on the 1799 map.
The Census of 1901, when the address was 7 New Row, describes it as a first class private dwelling with fourteen rooms and eleven windows to the front. It was occupied by an estate agent, Thomas Warnock, who lived here with his wife, Mary, his brother Hamilton, an architect, and three servants.
An observation tower on the roof suggests that the property may once have been the business premises of a sea merchant. It is now Portaferry Sailing Club which has been responsible over the years for running national and international sailing events. The Club started as Cooke Street Sailing Club in 1968, named after a previous sailing club in the town which ceased operating in 1956.
New Row was always a street that attracted residents with maritime connections. The 1901 census lists the occupations of some of those who lived in New Row as:- master mariners, sailors, merchant seamen, ferrymen, ships’ carpenters, fishermen, boatmen, steam and sail pilots, lighthouse keepers, coast guards, firemen on steamboats and naval pensioners.